This regional station was established as a summer nursery facility in 1966 with a view to support the activities under All India Coordinated Wheat & Barley Improvement Project and later shifted to the present location of Dalang Maidan in 1974. Since its establishment the facilities at this station are being strengthened for its efficient utilization.
The station has very high future potential in serving the national wheat programme for faster varietal development process with screening to yellow rust and powdery mildew. More than 50000 lines are grown every year from more than 20 co-operators across the country for various objectives.
It is situated in the district of Lahaul & Spiti of the Himachal Pradesh and located approximately 32 0 21’ N latitude, 77 0 14’ E longitude 9000ft altitude.
Major objectives of station
- Generation advancement during wheat, barley, chickpea mustard, lentil during off season
- Seed multiplication of important cultures/varieties
- Corrective crossing
- Screening important wheat and barley material against yellow rust and powdery mildew
- Centre for high altitude wheat and barley varietal trials
- Natural repository for wheat and barley germplasm
Some useful deadlines
- Receipt of material for sowing : First Week May (at IIWBR Karnal)
- Sowing period: May 15-25
- Crossing period : July 01 to Aug 10
- Selection period: August 15-September 15
- Harvesting : September 25 – October 10
- Material receipt at Karnal: October 20-25
- Material dispatch to co-operators: October 25-30
For more detailed information please contact:
Dr. Chandra Nath Mishra
Scientist (Pl Breed) & I/c IIWBR-RS
Dalang Maidan, Himachal Pradesh