- Barley would be promoted as an industrial cereal in co-operation with malting and brewing industry. As scope for export of malt from India may increase, the development of malt varieties deserves impetus.
- Work on salinity and alkalinity aspects would be taken up more comprehensively to address the problem existing in the states of Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Rajasthan, and Gujarat.
- The major usage of barley for feed and forage requires development of genotypes with higher biomass production and better feed qualities with respect to protein and fibre content.
- Incorporation of resistance to leaf blight, rusts and aphid would be given due preference.
- Major emphasis will be on the development of suitable crop protection and production technologies to support the barley cultivation in current situation.
- Development of molecular tools for improving malting and nutritional quality of barley for using in barley breeding.